– By Sweeti
“The attractiveness of correct grammar cannot be overstated.”
If you really wanna present yourself in English, you need to have perfect understanding in grammar. Because Grammar is the soul of English. If you speak English without using proper grammar, it will make no sense. Correct grammar demonstrates your English skills and improves your personality.
If you go for a job interview, the first impression is – the way you speak English. The way you write and the way you respond. Someone of us might be having proper knowledge of grammar but struggling with bad spelling problem. I’ll try and deal with all those sectors in my blogs.
How to improve your grammar?
1) Read Books – Make a consistent reading habit. It will help you improve your vocabulary. A good reader is a good writer as well. Reading newspaper daily will be helpful for the purpose.
2) Converse always in English – It’s obvious to face problem in grammar as many of us don’t have English as our mother tongue. In order to be fluent in English , try to make conversations in English. It will help you to learn from others and Spot their mistakes as well.
3) Practice – Grammar is not about rote learning and simply mug up. It’s all about practice. The more you practice, the more fluent you will be. Read blogs, newspaper, articles, try to speak, write, converse, all in English. If you write something in English daily, it will definitely help you to improve your spelling problem.
Common grammatical mistakes which we all make in our daily lives :-
1) Using words wrongly – like accepted /excepted. We make mistakes usually as they both sound very similar. E.g. – He excepted(excluded) his offer. He accepted (granted) his offer.
2) Using apostrophe wrongly – confusion between it’s and its. When we say it’s, we mean “it is” or “it has”. And when we use its , we mean “belonging to it.” E.g- The rat was licking it’s (it is /it has) tail .(Wrong) The rat was licking its tail. (Correct)
3) Missing comma in the sentence – It’s a blunder to miss comma in a sentence, as it tends to change its meaning . E.g.- Let’s eat Grandpa ! (Wrong) Let’s eat, Grandpa! (Correct)
4) Subject-verb agreement – It means, in a sentence if the subject is singular, it’s verb should also be singular and in case, if the subject is plural, its verb should also be plural. E.g.- The two best things about the picnic was the food and the fun.(wrong) The two best things about the picnic were the food and the fun. (Correct)
Whenever you stuck up in a grammatical issue, take a moment spare for yourself and look it up. It will save you from embarrassment and help you to be confident. Keep reading my blogs, you will learn something. And everyone knows –” something is better than nothing “.